Tuesday 6 July 2010

Happy Birthday

Córdoba de la Nueva Andalucía
Cathedral in the city of Córdoba, Argentina. Photo by Roberto Bowyer

For the last couple of weeks I have been planning to write a post about Córdoba, my hometown in Argentina. It is, I think, a long due tribute to the city where I was born and where I lived many years of my life.

It has been no easy task, though. What to tell, where to begin and most importantly, how to express how I feel about Córdoba?

After much thought and deliberation, false starts and drafts that ended up in the trash bin (cybernetically speaking, of course) I finally found the answer ... and it came with a little help from my friends, as the song goes.

How so?

I happen to have friends who are very talented photographers. Their photos are fantastic because they are all very technically and artistically skilled - they have the eye for it, as they say. But something else happens when they shoot photos of Córdoba: they put their soul into it as well; and when you look at their images you know that no matter where in the world they live now, they've left a piece of their heart behind in Córdoba - just like me.

Today, we are celebrating Córdoba's 437th birthday. On a day like today, 6th July 1573, the Spanish conquistador Don Jerónimo Luis de Cabrera, founded the city of Córdoba de la Nueva Andalucía on the margins of the river Suquía. The name of Córdoba was chosen as a tribute to the conquistador's wife, who had been born in the Spanish Córdoba.

This is how Claudia Gibson, Gustavo Alterio, Roberto Bowyer and humble me, say "Happy Birthday" to our city!

(You can click on each photo to view it large)


Claudia Gibson takes the best shots of the skies of Córdoba.

A view over the city by Gustavo Alterio.

Capuchinos Church and Buen Pastor cultural centre, by Gustavo Alterio.

La Cañada (channeled stream) by Roberto Bowyer.

The Cabildo, old Town Hall in the city centre, by Roberto Bowyer.

Santa Teresa's Church, built in 1628.

Ecipsa tower on Yrigoyen Av.

Happy Birthday, to our city!!






19 comments:

Lizzy said...

Wow, what an amazing city! I've always wanted to go to Argentina and now even more! Happy birthday to your home town!

Presépio no Canal said...

Congratulations to your city, Aledys!!!
Great, great photos! Talented friends! ;-)
Now, I m curious about the Capuchinos Church...;-)
Tell me more, tell me more... ;-)

Invader_Stu said...

Lovely photos. It looks amazing. Happy Birthday Córdoba.

sm said...

happy birthday
great shots

Unknown said...

Wow, those are amazing pictures!!!
Feliz cumple para Córdoba!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot!

BLOGitse said...

That city has a long history - happy birthday!
Greetings from Casablanca!

BLOGitse

Anonymous said...

Eber! Me hiciste emocionar!! Un día muy especial para nosotros los cordobeses y que se siente más aún cuando estás lejos. Gracias por la generosidad y por tantos cumplidos, pero lo de poner el corazón es tan cierto... Lo he visto con Gustavo, con Roberto y con vos: siempre queriendo mostrar lo mejor de nuestra tierra y preocupados por hacerlo bien.
Un abrazo enorme y muchas gracias por hacerme parte de tu homenaje al cumple de Córdoba!!
Claudia Gibson

Anita said...

I like most Robert Bowyer's.

Unknown said...

Thanks to you all!! I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer individually, but Blogger was having problems publishing comments!!

Monica said...

Fotos divinas!
Feliz cumple, ciudad de mis amores...

s said...

lovely shots

TBM said...

Gasp! These are stunning photos!! Happy Birthday to your beautiful hometown, Aledys!

Unknown said...

Thanks to Mónica, s, JaPRA and Aggie!!!

Droomvla said...

Your blog on Cordoba makes me wanna go to Argentina, and PRONTO! lol I have to be patient... but someday, I will go there too to visit mi hermana (a former classmate and very good friend of mine). Thanks for sharing!

Vallypee said...

Very very beautiful, Aledys. Ican well imagine that you have left a piece of your heart there. These photos are stunning and taken with love too. I'm very happy your comment on my blog alerted me to coming over and taking another look at your site. Lovely!

buday said...

Cordoba is beautiful and golden and GRAND. You keep adding to my bucket list, Aledys. :) Meanwhile, I'll just have to imagine I'm having some alfajores with my coffee and I'm strolling along the side of the La Canada.

Unknown said...

@Droomvla,
If you ever want to join me when I go there, I'll be glad to show you around!
THanks for stopping by!

@VallyP,
Thanks so much for your comment. I'm glad you liked the photos!

@buday,
Well, one of these days we can see about starting to make that bucket list shorter, then! :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I missed this post..I always check your site but for some reason I think the new ones didn't show up for me??? Anyway, WOW what a beautiful city and of course the photography. I would like to visit!
Oh and by the way..my favorite wine ever is an Argentinian chardonnay:-)