Tuesday 27 July 2010

The Light Breeze of Zeeland

The beautiful and ever changing skies of Zeeland (click on photo to see large)
One of the things that has always fascinated me about the Netherlands is its historic love/hate relationship with water. Life would be completely different without the ever present allure and threat that water represents for the people of this country.

the beach in Vlissingen (click on photo to see large)

The province of Zeeland is one of the places where this love/hate relationship is most evident.
Zeeland is an spectacular region in the south of the Netherlands formed by the delta of the three major rivers the Rhine, the Meuse and the Waal. This province offers an incomparable atmosphere that brings echoes of past maritime glory together with an instant holiday feeling when you come in contact with its salty air,unspoiled beaches, beautiful meadow polders and enchanting dorpen or villages where time seems to stand still...

In future posts I will be taking you to see things like ...

the incredible Oosterschelde Storm Surge Barrier, that protects the country from floods...

the barrier built to stop the sea from flooding the Netherlands (click on photo see large)

we will have a close encounter with history, visiting important sites like the Zeeuwsmuseum in the Abbey of Middelburg ...

The Abbey of Middelburg (click on photo to see large)
 ... the oldest sea fort in west Europe - Fort Rammekens (near Vlissingen)

Fort Rammekens played a very important role in the maritime history of Zeeland (click on photo to see large)

or the town of Westkapelle, where the fight against natural and human enemies made its inhabitants strong...

A Sherman tank left as reminder of WWII (click on photo to see large)

we will explore the capital city of Zeeland - beautiful Middelburg...

The amazing building of the Town Hall in Middelburg (click on photo to see large)

... picturesque cities and towns like Goes, Vlissingen, and Veere...

Veere, the most enchanting village I visited in Zeeland (click on photo to see large)
and finally, we will take a ride in a beautifully restored steam train across the beautiful polder meadows ...

A ride back in time aboard this steam locomotive (click on photo to see large)

Do you want to come with me to feel and breathe the Light Breeze of Zeeland?

17 comments:

Presépio no Canal said...

I want, of course! I was in Zeeland only once and I became in love for the province! Middelburg and Veere are so lovely !
Let's go then! ;-)

buday said...

Yes, please, I want to take a ride in that train and stay for hours in Veere (even if only virtually) --- it looks enchanting indeed. May I know how far these places are from Amsterdam?

I like your blog’s new look. It’s very ‘summer-y’. Truly makes me want to say, let's go. :)

Unknown said...

@Sandra,
While browsing through my photos to pick some to use for this post, I felt like going back there this weekend! I loved it too!! so much to see!!!

@buday,
OK, these places ARE far from A'dam (about 2 hrs. by car) and that's where all the charm lies, actually! :D It's totally different and a lot less crowded with foreigners, ergo, more authentic - trust me!

TBM said...

Sigh... what beautiful photos! And yes, I would loooove to experience Zeeland with you!

I was feeling a little homesick for the Netherlands yesterday, so thank you for these wonderful pics. XOXO

Unknown said...

@JaPRA,
Ohhh were you homesick? Well, you're not too far away so you can come back for a holiday or a weekend any time, I guess!
Thanks for stopping by!

BLOGitse said...

YES, yES, YeS, yeS...I'm with you!
As you know I miss fresh air, clean streets etc.
It looks so homey over there...
How about espresso or class of wine afterwards? :)
Greetings from Casa!

Unknown said...

@BLOGitse,
Or something more typically "Zeeuws" such as "boterbabbelaar" (butterscotch) and "bolussen" (sticky sweet cakes) to go with that espresso? :D
Thanks for your comments!

PATagonia said...

Yes, I want!!! Lástima que estoy tan lejos, pero te acompaño a traves del blog. Me encantó esta entrada...

Cómo aprovechan todo, estaba mirando la foto de la barrera de nombre impronunciable, que además la deben usar para producir energía eólica. Me pareció perfecto!

Me gustó mucho ese pueblo llamado Veer (el único nombre fácil de este post)... ademas la foto está genial, con el canal, la casa, el molino...

Un beso, y supongo que el viaje sigue, no??

Unknown said...

@Patricia,
Sí, claro que el viaje sigue! Efectivamente, aquí todo se aprovecha al máximo, será porque los recursos y los espacios son pocos y como decimos nosotros, se la tienen que rebuscar.
Un beso!

Roseane said...

Nice pictures.
I have a good friend that lives in the south of Netherlands. It is a beautiful country.
Have a nice week.
Roseane

Anonymous said...

I love the new look to the blog! Mooi! Giovanni and I were talking this week about wanting to learn more about Zeeland. It looks like we can use some of your posts to plan a sightseeing trip!

Unknown said...

@oranjeflamingo,
Thanks!!!
Well, it might take me a while to post everything about my trip, so you can check this website to get ideas...
http://www.vvvzeeland.nl/en/

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures and descriptions!!!! I like the Sherman tank, it's impressive!!!!
Baci "from Bariló" ;-) Poncia

Unknown said...

@Poncia,
I'd never seen a Sherman tank before, and I had heard, read and well, seen them on films for such a long time. Yes, they're impressive.
Grazie, baci anche a te!!

@Aggie,
Well, the province I think would provide for quite a number of "stadswandelingen", there are so many interesting cities, towns, and villages!!
Thanks for your comment!!

Esteban y Lia said...

Hola, gracias por invitarnos a este viaje... cuantos lugares fabulosos!!!
El edificio del ayuntamiento... madre mía, es precioso.

Y el tren... que decir, casi nos imaginamos estar arriba de el observando los magnificos paisajes de allí!!!

Muchos cariños y saludos desde Argentina!!!

Roseane said...

Good week!!!

Anonymous said...

I do want to go! My sister-in-law goes to Zeeland regularly and keeps telling me we should check it out...we're going on a camping/road trip tour of NL in September and we'll be adding these to the list..great post!